Are there any special plantain recipes for dogs? Yes there are! But special doesn’t always mean difficult or complicated!
We all know that dogs like eating sweet fruits like watermelons and bananas. Many dog owners want to feed their dogs an unripe banana, called plantain.
If you want your dog to have plantains as a snack, they should be fully ripe, and their color should be total black. But most of us aren’t patient enough to wait until ripening is done.
Here are some very easy, healthy and safe plantain recipes for dogs so you can treat them to your lovely furry companion.
Plantain Recipes (For Dogs)
Baked Plantain Chips
2 pounds plantains or green bananas peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds—divide plantains between two rimmed baking sheets. Bake until golden and crisp, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating sheets and flipping plantains halfway through. They are ready for your furry friend! Feed the chips in moderation and only as a snack once a day 1-2 times per week.
2 ripe plantains (yellow with many black spots)
1 tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil (optional)
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 tbsp. honey (optional)
1. Cut plantains into slices
2. Steam for about 15 minutes or until cooked
3. Drizzle with coconut oil, cinnamon, and honey.
Yeah, it’s that simple! Enjoy them with your furry friend!
How to boil plantains? It’s simple, but I insist on ripe plantains with a couple of black spots for this recipe.
- Wash the fruit and cut both ends of the plantain.
- Slice into the thick peel along the length of the fruit.
- Peel off the plantains for boiling.
- Next, cut the plantains into medium-thick slices.
- Add to a pot of boiling water and cook until the slices soften.
- Use a fork to check the softness of the slices. It usually takes about 15 to 25 minutes to soften completely.
- You’ll see a lot of starchy foam in the water at the end.Strain this water and rinse the cooked slices to remove that starchiness.
Let them cool and give your dog to eat.
Oven Baked Plantains
How to bake plantains for your dog? It is very simple.
- Ripe plantains (when the skin is yellow with spots of black they’re perfect)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the ends off of the plantains and peel.
- Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices.
- Arrange in single layer and coat tops with cooking spray.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender.
These are 4 of the most common and easy plantain recipes for dogs. We will for sure add more recipes for your beloved dogs in the future!
Here is our extented guide for feeding your dog plantains, health benefits, how to avoid possible issues and much more.